Staying in school not ideal for all

Gaylynn Green, Writer

Some students can’t deal with the pressure of school and things going on outside of school. They might just have too much going on.

That’s why some students choose to drop out. “We want to help them do what’s best for them,” Mrs. Peggy Stratton, senior counselor, said.

The dropout process starts whenever the student visits with the administration. If the student is 16 or 17, the request is usually not approved.

Normally, the only way students can drop out is if they’re 18, unsuccessful in school, or behind in credits and not eligible to graduate with their peers.

If students permanently choose to leave school, they normally can’t come back; however, they usually don’t want to anyway.

Before a student leaves for good, he or she needs to understand the reason. “Most students drop out because they just hate school,” Mrs. Stratton said.

Mrs. Stratton and other administration try to help as much as they possibly can. “We will pave the way for them and make it possible,” she said.

Colton Youngblood, 18, says, “I am happy I dropped out because now I can start work earlier and make even more money.”

He has his GED and still has friends from high school that he can hang out with after work, on the weekends, etc.

“I feel like I didn’t need to walk across the stage with my peers in order to feel accomplished. Dropping out was one of the best decisions I have ever made,” he said.