Cross country runners finish season strong

Lily Elvey, Writer

As the nervous runners wait anxiously for the firing of the gun to start the race, the coach hopes for the best outcome.

Cross country running is a sport in which teams and individuals run a race on open-air courses. The season for cross country begins after the track and field season ends and extends into fall.

This season was very successful for all of the Lakeside teams. Both the junior high boys and girls teams earned district runner-up titles. Varsity boys earned runner-up, and the varsity girls won district. The team also participated in state, where the girls came in 7th place and the boys came in 5th place.

The cross country team is coached by Jeff Haynes. This is his first year at Lakeside, and he will also be coaching the upcoming track and field season.

Coach Haynes decided to become a cross country coach because he ran cross country in high school and in college. “I’ve run almost every day since I was 14,” he said.

Coach Haynes says that the most stressful part about coaching is the day of state and conference.

If someone new is entering cross country, Coach Haynes would say those runners have to be very patient, and consistency is the difference.

Every day, the runners run an average of 4-7 miles.Freshman Clint Martens has been in cross country since 7th grade. “My friend’s brother did it and it sounded fun, so I joined,” Clint said.

Clint says the most stressful part as a runner is waiting in lines for the race to start at the meets.

Being on cross country, just like other sports teams, teaches life lessons and helps make lots of memories. Clint says it has taught him to live life to the absolute fullest. It has also taught him to set goals, feel good about himself, and make long-lasting relationships.

Cross country can be very stressful at times, but it also can be very rewarding. “Seeing your times improve over the season is the most rewarding thing,” Clint said.

Paige Arthur