Tennis teams win conference in singles, doubles

Junior Noah McClanahan returns a serve in a match held at Lakeside.

Madison Easley, Writer

Everyone’s eyes follow the tennis ball as it bounces from one side of the net to the other. Aside from the sound of the ball hitting the racket, not much noise is to be heard. Sixteen teams have come to Rebsamen Park to play in the state tournament, and they all want to win. The final point is scored, and Lakeside has placed runner-up. The girls have lost by just one point.

Lakeside’s tennis team is just coming off of a successful season. The boys’ team completed the season 10-3 with 2 ties, the girls 10-0 with 5 ties, and both teams won conference.

We are all very hard-working and really wanted to pull out another state win,” sophomore MC Cowen, a player on the girls team, said.

However, second place is not far off. “I was really proud of our team,” Isabella Calhoun, another player on the girls team, said. She says this was the highlight of the season for her.

MC Cowen said her favorite moment of the season was when the team won conference Oct. 9. “Everyone played really well, considering we had to sit around the whole day due to a rain delay,” she said.

The team had some injuries and illnesses to overcome this season. Madelyn Porter sprained her ankle, which kept her from playing, and Matthew Mangan came down with pancreatitis. “We had to sub a player for Matthew,” Coach Shawny Green said.

Coach Green says that two players who stood out this season were Blake Wooldridge and Noah Ross from the boys doubles team.

“The team they played [in the tournament] had beaten them twice before, so they weren’t expected to win, but they did,” she said. She also said that Thea Rice, who recently signed a letter of intent to play for the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, played impressively this season. She won the overall tournament on Oct. 24.

The team has done well this past season and hopes to do even better next season. They plan to continue working hard and to go into next season prepared and determined.