College not always the game

Staff

If you talked to a group of high school students, especially juniors and seniors, you would find that many of them are stressed about college. They are stressed about where they want to go, what they want to do, whether they will be accepted, and the hefty price. You will also find students, who, in the midst of the stress, are wondering,”Is college really worth it?” The answer to this question is “yes.”

The words “college” and “debt” go hand-in-hand for a great number of students. However, people with college degrees typically are able to qualify for jobs that earn more money than those without. The U.S. Census Bureau reports that “in 2016, the average income for people 25 years old and older with only a high school diploma was $35,615, while the income for people with a bachelor’s degree was an average of $65,482, and $92,525 for those with advanced degrees.”

College is also beneficial because according to Huffingtonpost.com, college graduates are more likely to have health insurance and retirement plans. This should sound appealing to nearly everyone.

A large number of careers require a college education, and this number is increasing. BLS.gov reports that 61% of jobs in the U.S. require some type of college degree.

According to Collegeboard.com, college graduates have lower poverty rates. The 2008 poverty rate of those holding a bachelor’s degree was 4% compared to 12% of those with a high school diploma.

Despite the fact that college pays off, both literally and metaphorically, the cost of it should be lessened. To help, students should stay focused in high school and achieve the best grades possible in order to increase the chance of receiving financial aid. A student shouldn’t wait until senior year to buckle-down and get serious about a financial plan.

Some students have plans and are working towards careers that don’t involve college and, this is fine, as well. However, besides a maximized income, college allows one to further his or her education and exercise being an intellectual, and this is the biggest benefit of them all. College should certainly be considered by all students.