New courses give students more options

Virtual, AP classes added to offerings for next year

Madison Easley, Staff Writer

New additions to the course offerings have been made for the 2018-2019 academic year. There are two new AP classes and more options with possible math routes students can take. Virtual courses also are being offered, as well as courses at College of the Ouachitas.  

Students have been meeting weekly with their CAPS advisors to plan their schedules for next school year. Parents came to the school Feb. 15 to meet with CAPS advisers about the schedule their child had selected.

Beginning this year, students can always log into Home Access Center, and select each class they are planning on taking. This is a quicker, efficient way of requesting schedules.

“It definitely took a lot of time and thinking to finally decide on everything I wanted in my schedule,” junior Olivia Green said.

The two new AP classes are AP Environmental Science and AP Seminar. AP Environmental Science will be taught by Brittany Akin, and AP Seminar will be taught by Jennifer Garner.

If a student takes and scores a three or above on the AP exam for AP Seminar and AP Research, as well as four other AP exams of the student’s choosing, the student will qualify for the AP Capstone diploma. Counselor Staci Newell says she thinks this is a great opportunity for students who have the drive and motivation.

Another change involves math. Students on the honors math track used to have to take Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry during their junior year and then take AP Calculus during their senior year. However, students can now choose to take Honors Algebra 3 their junior year, and then either College Algebra or College Trigonometry their senior year. Or, if Pre-Cal/Trig is taken junior year, there is the option to take College Algebra, College Trigonometry, AP Statistics, or AP Calculus during the senior year.

Furthermore, virtual courses are being offered. Juniors and seniors choosing to take virtual courses must select two. Students must be able to provide their own transportation to and from school, since they will have two periods each day to work from home. They also must complete an application, which involves the student showcasing writing and reading skills.

“Just because they [the classes] are online does not mean they are going to be any easier or less work than a normal class,” Newell said.

Some courses will not have a teacher on campus to get in contact with for reference, including AP Psychology and AP Sociology. Classes such as English and geometry, however, allow the student to have English and geometry teachers on campus whom they can go to with questions.         

“I think the virtual courses are a really cool new addition for students who are going to give them the same effort as a regular class,” junior Colton Guill said.

Aside from online classes, courses are also available at other campuses. Most students are familiar with the National Park program, but now two new courses are available through the College of the Ouachitas in Malvern: Construction Technology 1 and Welding 1. COTO classes will take up three of seven periods.

Sophomore Lauren McFadden says being able to already take a college course at an actual college is very appealing to her.

An adjustment also has been made in the Family and Consumer Sciences department. Child Development and Parenting has been combined into one year-long course.

Also, a new course called Personal Fitness has been offered, and it satisfies the physical education credit.

All of this information, as well as the requirements for all of these new courses, can be found in the course catalog on the Lakeside website.

“It’s kind of exciting to see all of the new options we have, and it gives you a lot to think about when making next year’s schedule,” sophomore Jayci Gibbs said.