Lady Bird effortlessly captivates viewers

Madison Easley, Staff Writer

The inventive coming of age film, Lady Bird, directed by Greta Gerwig, is a movie young adults shouldn’t miss, with the target audience being those teetering between teenage years and adulthood.

The movie stars Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Lucas Hedges, Timothèe Chalamet, and Beanie Feldstein. It is rated R for language and sexual content and is considered a comedic drama.

Saoirse Ronan plays Christine, self-proclaimed Lady Bird, a high school senior who attends a Catholic school and has pink hair. Lady Bird yearns to go to a college in New York and escape her boring, “uncultured” small-town life.

Within the first few minutes of the movie, Lady Bird has made the rash and slightly comical decision to jump out of a moving car in the middle of a very sudden, heated argument between her and her mother, played by Laurie Metcalf. The audience is immediately made aware of Lady Bird’s very bold and strong personality.

This is just one of the many arguments to come between Lady Bird and her mother throughout the movie. They do love each other, but their equally strong personalities challenge each other. Their turbulent mother-daughter relationship is a primary focus of the movie.

Lady Bird’s senior year is also full of struggles with boys, friendships, and college admissions. However, the desire to begin a completely new life in which she discovers herself remains the largest conflict. This desire to move far away is what sparked the argument between her and her mother at the beginning, and it continues to cause disagreement.

The movie takes place in 2002;  the details in clothing, cars, homes, music, and lack of smartphones make the setting believable.

Gerwig has said that she has gotten several responses from mothers and daughters that they see themselves in Lady Bird and her mother, Marion. They can relate to the loving but complicated relationship that can come with the confusing teenage years.

Lady Bird easily resonates with many people. Regardless if the viewer relates to Lady Bird’s personality, she can likely, at least to some extent, relate to the conflicts that occur in her senior year. The struggle to find who you are and who you want to be, particularly when still making the transition into adulthood, is a common occurrence for many in real life.

Lady Bird is an excellent movie that feels real, while also feeling simple. It doesn’t feel like it’s working hard to feel relatable or to get you emotionally invested; it just does.