Girl’s soccer team gears up for new season

Sophia Hardin, Staff

The girl’s soccer team at Lakeside High School is gearing up for a new season.

Coach Karrie Irwin is working on building a program that can continue to grow each year. Her goal is to teach the players how to have confidence on and off the field.

“We are working to make this program a place for not only developing outstanding athletes, but building a family of girls that can continue to be accountable to/for each other in the classroom, on the field, and in life,” Irwin said.

The team’s statistics for last season were 7-14. They are hoping to come back more successful this year and win conference.

“There is a lot to be learned from last season.  We had some things to work on and figure out, as a team and as a coaching staff,” said Irwin.

“We have been working on fine tuning our tryout process and our returning players’ practicing. We have scheduled days for endurance training, strength training, and skills training.  This helps us to prepare for the season and to help the girls see the process. They have to buy into the process and believe in it,” Irwin said.

Irwin believes there are so many outstanding players on the team. Freshman Taylor Ramirez particularly stands out ‘because she is always working hard to be better’. Senior Melissa Perigo stands out ‘because she has come back to the team with a lot more strength and accuracy in her kicks. She is also a very motivated and driven player.’

Some players are injured during practice or a game and have to take a temporary leave. Sophomore Zoe Cattaneo was injured last season but is now back and determined to do great.

This season, Zoe’s goals are to “be conference champs, outdo past records, and go farther in state.”

Irwin truly feels like the team has become her family. She knows they aren’t perfect, but they always try their hardest to succeed.